December Currently & Elf on the Shelf Spin-Off: Moose on the Loose

I'm linky-linking up with Farley for her fabulous monthly Currently! Click the photo below to check out the linky! Most of mine are self explanatory...


Listening: Hello... obsessed. My husband literally groans and rolls his eyes when he sees I'm watching it again since I've seen every episode numerous times.
Loving: I had to wait until after Thanksgiving (I love Thanksgiving and believe it deserves it's time in the spot light now that Black Friday took it over.. don't get me started)
Thinking: With only 3 weeks left before Christmas really, I need to get crackin'!
Wanting: I love Thanksgiving- all the family time and food... I also wish I had a little more time to get ready for the next week back at school.
Post-Feast Hike Up The Bluff

My In-Laws (not all of them, but a good chunk)
Needing: Our closest are busting at their seams in this little 1 bedroom apartment. We are saving up for our trip to Italy this summer and as well as for our first home... Hopefully within the next 2 years, this will become our reality.
Favorite Tradition: I'm starting a new tradition and it involves my classroom! Check it out below!!

----------------------------------

There are times when I really wish I had kids of my own already (but then I rethink that very quickly and decide Hubby and I are in no rush). One instance has been with all the Pinterest ideas surrounding the idea of the Elf on the Shelf. I think it sounds so much fun (for the kids, but also for the parents who can be creative with how to stage it). I really wanted to do it in my classroom, as I have seen some of my favorite bloggers do it. However, I can't due to restrictions surrounding holidays in our school. I understand, as our school is very diverse and not everyone celebrates Christmas. But I wanted to somehow do something similar to allow us to have some fun and to get me through these last 3 weeks before winter vacation.

Enter my dollar spot find: the moose!


Ok, some confessions: 1- they call this a reindeer... I'm calling it a moose. 2- it was in the dollar spot, but it was 3 dollars.

They had a penguin, a polar bear, and this little guy. I contemplated for a good 3-4 minutes (no, I wasn't embarrassed to be in the dollar spot at Target staring at these little ones for that long) before I picked the moose. As I was driving home, I tried to think what I could call my version of Elf on the Shelf... and then all of a sudden it came to me: Moose on the Loose!



Once I got home, I started making up a little poem to introduce him to my kiddos. At first, I had major writers block (really, not many words rhyme with moose or loose). It began to start flowing and within a few minutes, I created a lovely little poem that I will read to my students as a letter informing them who the Moose is and why he is in our room. I then put together a daily journal. I am still on the fence on how I am going to use it. Do I have each kid make one and have it for morning work each morning? Or do I have it as a class job (the class keeper) and have 1 for the whole class? We'll see how I am feeling tomorrow morning...

I also started thinking about what I would have this little guy do in our room. I needed a go-to list for those days when I didn't have something planned. So I made a list of just hiding spots for the kids to find him, but I also created a list of things that he could be doing if I want to put a bit more effort into it. I like this ability to be flexible.



Here's the best part: Elf on the Shelf goes for $30.00... this little project only costed me $3 plus some time. And you can have it yourself for under $6! (Including once you find your little moose in the dollar section at Target).

However, if you already have an Elf on the Shelf, I made this little journal up and daily ideas to use with him!


Both will be on sale with all my other paid products for Cyber Monday at TpT! Check it out!






Signature

12 comments

  1. I love your idea of the moose on the loose - I teach older kiddos, so I don't know what they would think of the elf, but the moose might be "cool" enough for them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moose on the loose is adorable!

    ~A Classroom Full of Smiles~
    http://aclassroomfullofsmiles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I put up my Christmas decorations yesterday & I'm just loving being surrounded by them too! Your Moose on the Loose idea is so great! Thanks for sharing!

    Lindsay
    Live Laugh & Learn in Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your Moose on the Loose idea! What a cute way to celebrate the holiday without focusing on Santa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so excited I found your blog through this month's currently! Not only is the moose my FAVORITE animal ever, but I have been trying to figure out how to incorporate the adorable Elf on the Shelf ideas into my very diverse classroom. You have truly saved the day!
    Marcy
    Searching for Teacher Balance

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Moose on the Loose idea is precious! Thanks for sharing!
    Happy Holidays!
    Erin
    Short and Sassy Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the love, everyone! I can't wait to blog about my little moose's adventures in our classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE MOOSE on the LOOSE!!! This is Genius!I'm heading to Target now and adding your pack to my wish list for tomorrow's sale!! :) SO fun to find you through Farley :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am with you on that!! This break flew by. Can't wait for next vaca!! Yay for being your newest follower. Drop by!! =)

    Just Wild About Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cute idea…Moose on the Loose! I love it!!

    Kendra
    This Little Ladybug

    ReplyDelete
  11. That Moose is so darn clever. I could people having the elf playing with the moose.. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now that is a cute idea!!!! I love Moose on the Loose!!! Thanks so much for sharing!!!

    Tammy
    Come By and Visit My Blogs!
    ”Dots” of Fun!
    1...2...3...Teach With Me

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top