Monday Made It: Floating Book Shelf

I'm linking up with Tara for Monday Made It. And I can say, that I actually made this today (MONDAY)! It is TRULY a Monday Made It. That never happens! Anywho, thanks Tara- love MMI days!

Have you seen the amazing library displays Catherine creates over at The Brown Bag Teacher? I seriously love seeing what she creates each month. They are so crisp, yet powerful and engaging! She inspired me to put some energy into my library area and switch out my bulletin board with our units and have a display focused on our unit of study.

She has the space to pick out books and feature them, and that's one thing I love about the displays. I don't have that, so I started to think. I really wanted these 3M shelves, but they discontinued them so I can't get anymore. As I was washing the dishes (one of my most hated activities) I was thinking of how I could solve this problem and it hit me like this arctic vortex floating around Minnesota right now! I could create a floating book shelf that is attached to the bulletin board and wall! But how...

I started brainstorming with my hubby... he's a phy ed./health teacher and also has no school due to the cold. We drew some sketches, and created this prototype (ok, don't laugh at us. We have been cooped up and I didn't want to spend money on yet another project that didn't work out so I wanted to test it first). I present to you- the protoype:


Ok- it's not fancy, I get that. But it proved my idea to work! So we braced ourselves for the cold (it was -48 with the windchill) to Staples to pick up some supplies. We needed to run the car anyways to help it start up over the next two days.
The supplies I picked up:

  • Larger poster board (in hindsight- I didn't need the largest sheet they had; I only needed half of it, but I wanted to be safe)
  • Duct tape (I picked some up at Staples, but then we also went to Target and I found the color I really wanted, so I picked that up too)
  • Command hooks (I picked up the normal clear version, and the "utensil hook" clear ones- the ones that has the hook that moves)
The supplies I already had:

  • String from Michael's
  • Exacto Knife
  • Screw and Screwdriver

Hubby helped to score and cut the shelves. We made 2 small ones, 4 medium, and 1 large with half of the board.

I then duct taped the cut up poster board to make it look more colorful, hide the imperfect edges, and provide a bit more support. Nick then made marks on where to create the holes- we used a very fancy machine... a screw.


I tried a few different ways to make it easier to to make the holes. We wanted larger holes for the back so that the hook could fit in there. We used a screwdriver to do this. The front holes though I wanted a bit smaller so we could tie a knot in the string and have it hold, so we had to just use the screw. I hurt my hand so I brought out my trusty ove' glove (seriously- it was one of the best stocking stuffers I have ever gotten- use it for eating ice cream of smoothies to keep my hand from getting too cold and now to help me screw a nail into something... multi-purpose is my kind of thing) to make creating the holes a bit less painful.


To test out our hard work, we mounted one here at home and viola! Here is my cheap, customizable, floating shelf to display books under my bulletin board!


Here's a close up on how we used the command hooks. These hooks will go right underneath the bulletin board in my classroom library area and have books that I want to highlight during our unit of study! I made multiple shelves- they won't all fit, but it will allow me to switch them out based on what books I want to highlight.


Oh, and did I mention, we have yet another.... COLD DAY!!! It's just too cold for our little ones to be outside walking or waiting for the bus. Check out my announcement on my new Instagram account (click on the icon at the top of this page). I'll probably go to school tomorrow though and work in the room a little bit- mainly to get this new bulletin board up and ready for our new unit: Researching Countries!!

Now I'm off to look at the other Made Its!



Signature

12 comments

  1. I love it! It looks great! (I wasn't nearly as productive on my day off from school.)

    Crafting Connections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb! I would much rather work on a project like this than grade 25 rain forest reports (which I finally made myself do tonight)... It's my form of procrastination :)

      Delete
  2. Genius!! I am envisioning where I could do these in my room...hmmmm? I don't have any wall space....wahhhhhhhh!! Very creative!!! I MIGHT (heavy emphasis) be at school tomorrow...

    Kate :)
    McDee's Busy Bees

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks friend! Ya... I was wondering where you might attempt it... You really don't have a lot of wall space! I can come brainstorm with your *cough*distract you*cough*. I'm hope to go to tomorrow- let me know if you do! :)

      Delete
  3. How cute! I love the idea of your floating bookshelf! Yay to you for being so productive on your snow day!
    Erin
    Short and Sassy Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin! I saw your MMI and those adorable hair ties. My sister-in-law just bought me some for Christmas... I have never seen them before! Best of luck on your fun, crafting adventure! I'll be looking forward to following it!

      Delete
  4. From one Minnesotan to another...three cheers for two cold days! My teacher friend and I were at a coffee shop in uptown when we got the news. We exchanged high fives and noticed two other girls at a different table giggling and cheering for another day of no school. Ha, teachers everywhere today but in school. So glad to hear that some teachers like you were productive today...LOVE the shelf! I'm now following you on Bloglovin'!

    Mai
    Diary of a Grumpy Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mai! I love finding other teacher bloggers from Minnesota! I'm following you now as well! What a perfect way to spend your first of two snow days. Stay warm tomorrow and I hope Wednesday is easy on you! :)

      Delete
  5. Love the shelves. Can't wait to try it at school.
    Mrs. Brown Loves Bookworms

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sara! Let me know how it goes! :)

      Delete
  6. Cold day here in Iowa too. Don't you just love Midwestern winters HAHA.
    I love your idea so much I am going to have to "borrow" it for my own classroom library! These are terrific. Thank you so much for sharing your creativity!
    ♬Kay
    On the Trail of Learning

    ReplyDelete
  7. So inventive! I love this, Kelli. Thanks for sharing. :)

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top