Monday Made It: Sticks and Toppers x 2


So yesterday was a craft day with my girl Whit. We're high school friends and only live 25/30 minutes from one another now, but my hermit lifestyle doesn't always bring us together as often as we should. Whenever we hang out, it's a good time. She's a great friend in many ways. One thing she loves to do is make stuff- cookies and crafts mainly. So we planned a date to meet up after my trip to craft away.

One problem.

I didn't have a craft. I don't know what's wrong with me. Just nothing was coming to mind. I even scoured my Pinterest boards and realized, I haven't really pinned any home crafts. Maybe it's because we get the keys to our new apartment this week and I really don't need to add anything else right at this moment. {side note- We haven't started packing yet. I didn't think this was an issue, but Whit did. I apparently am in denial of all the crap we really do have to move from one place to the next. Rats. I better get on that}  Once Whit came and we himmed and hawed over my photos from Italy, I thought if we traveled to Jo-Ann's Fabric I might get an idea.

And I did.

In the cake pop section. I saw this:


A cake pop display. And cake pop sticks. Then I turned and saw cupcake liners.
And I turned it into this:

What is it? Good question. Valid question. My husband had the same question.

It's my display for some of classroom donations for open house. 

I wanted to make it stand out as opposed to my post-its from years past. Why? Because these 3 items we can no longer ask for on our back to school supply lists. Long story short, all teachers in our district had to remove tissues, zip loc bags, and disinfectant wipes for a reason I'm not going into detail about. But we roll with the punches. We can still ask for them at open house, but we just can't put it on our list that goes out to all families before school. So I wanted something to stand out so that families didn't miss it. This isn't the final display. It'll include one of my little signs from Michael's with directions as well as this other sheet that describes why/how we use these items. Hopefully, some families are able to help us out!

It was pretty simple. I was just going to write on the inside bottom of the cupcake liners but I kept squishing them, so I quickly made a few on my computer, printed them out and cut them. I then used my trusty ZOTS glue dots to stick the little labels to the bottom, used 1 strip of tape and attached the stick to the back of the liner and my flowers were done. I then just cut out strips of squiggly green paper, taped it onto the display and called it a garden.


Then, I found crazy straws! I needed crazy straws. I use them for my birthday treat for the kids. I had made my lil' labels just the night before and BAM! Here these were at 50% off! I was trying to be optimistic and only got 2 packs of 12 {maybe that's more naive than optimistic... I had 28 students last year}, but I have a couple left over straws from last year if I pick up a few more students before the years end. So this is my second stick with a topper project I tackled:

Simple. And the kids loved it last year. If it ain't broke- don't go fixin' it!

Whit did some crafting too! She found a mini-book of pretty scrapbook paper on clearance at Jo-Ann's and made some very cute magnets.

{This is my boo Whit who also went to the Backstreet Boy's concert with me in June. We spent our crafting day talking about Brian and listening to their albums. We maybe a bit pathetic, but at least we have each other.}
So I started with nothing and came out with two projects that involved using sticks and adding a topper. But more importantly, it was a fun day with my girl, Whit!

Hop over to Tara's blog for more Monday Made Its!




Signature

5 comments

  1. Okay, I got excited about the cake pops....then realized that I would never make them anyway. Then I saw the cupcake things and that is something I could make! I have seen these used for something else recently, but can't remember what (hope I pinned it). I have pretty good luck asking for supplies from parents. I include things in a newsletter sometimes and we also do a school cast via text message. Last year I asked for cereal boxes by text and got about 75 boxes the next day! Have a great week!
    Carol
    Teachers Are Terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelli, I'm loving your projects this week! The display for parents at Open House is a really great Idea. I saw on Pinterest some "Helping Hands" cutouts to display to ask for help too. It's always hard to ask but when they are laid out that way, those that can will!! I also love your magnets. I've had them on my to-do list for awhile now. :)
    Ana
    Mrs. Bentin's Blackboard

    ReplyDelete
  3. You. are. so. CRAFTY!! I ADORE your made-its! How cute are those straw toppers!!? Love 'em. And those cupcake liners....I can see using those for a Mother's Day project. Great job, Kelli!

    Ali
    Teaching Powered by Caffeine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of the cupcake wish list. I might need to do something like that. I always use Post-it notes and not everyone grabs them. Maybe it work better to have stuff on the table where they can see it instead of on the board. XO
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so stinkin cute!!! I love how you make it stand out!! I'm not sure if I should do one, because I usually only have 1-2 parents actually take one.

    Rachel
    A Tall Drink of Water

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top