Back to School In a Flash: Teacher Faves



I'm joining Layla, Courtney, and Jamie and the 3-5th grade "iTeach" families to share in the fun of the back to school time season! I love the beginning of a new school year! Fresh beginnings, new ideas to implement... I could never work in an office space where it's the same old stuff everyday. 

To share in this fun time of the year, I'll be sharing some of my "teacher faves." Even better, I look forward in hearing from you and other bloggers what their favorites are so I know exactly what to go after for the back to school season.


I picked just a few of my favorites to share with you. First up:

I have an addiction to anything adhesive or things to make other things stick to them. Glue guns, Velcro, tape... you name it. But two of my favorite things to use in the classroom are magnets and glue dots. I love me some magnetic tape that I pick up at Lakeshore. When I run out (as in that picture above) I also have a baggie of small magnets that I can just peel and stick to whatever!

Glue dots are my LOVE! I especially like the glue dots that come in the strips as they work perfect with the letters I cut out from my Cameo or for skinnier surfaces like these clothespins. They come in a large variety too. When I want something to pop up a bit, I use the raised circle dots. They are clean and super sticky... a must have in my opinion.

I also like to make things POP in my room. I try to use things that are inexpensive to do this. I'm a Mr. Sketch lover to heart! I've gone through multiple packs and they are my go-to utensil when we are making anchor charts together. Not to mention, when I'm feeling frustrated, I just whip out that blue raspberry and take a whiff and smile.

All is well in the world.

I've got a collection of boxes- this was the first box I bought. I went to Lakeshore to pick up my new pack for the year and was sad to see they no longer carried the older box... call me nostalgic but I liked the old school feel of the "blue box." Oh well. I'm just excited to have my new juicy set of markers and to create some awesome charts with my kiddos.

I also love to use paper plates for lettering. They come in a variety of colors and patterns and are pretty cheap. I use binger rings to connect them together and hang them, but they can also be attached to bulletin boards for headers. I simple cut out my letters and Mod Podge them on. Sometimes, I also take plain white plates, flip them over, and paint my own colors or patterns before putting the letters on. So essentially, they are reversible!


I love to add music to our classroom for various reasons. Here's my playlist on Pandora that I pull up at different times of the day. And yes- you'll see a lot of boy band stations- those are for me when I'm "cleaning" or "planning" in the room. ;)

1) Great for independent writing, art projects, or other quiet work times
2) I love the Piano Guys- they take popular songs and turn them into instrumental music- we play this one sometimes during writing time or during transitions
3) Another one we play during writing time
4) When we do our research units for the rain forest or ocean animals, we play this one to "set the mood"
5) When we are looking for some fun! -Be aware: some songs are not Kidz Bop- be ready to "thumbs down" it if you don't find it appropriate.
6 & 7) Another quiet time... my 5th grade teacher always played classical music during writing time so I like to have different options to play

Do you have some favorites that are a must in your classroom? Join the link-up and share!

(Save and use this image if you'd like to introduce your favorites)
I've still got some time before I head back to school (September 8th is our first day with our students) but that hasn't slowed me down in preparing for the new year! I'd love to see what your favorites are! And don't forget to check out what others are sharing this week!

Check back next week for another "Back to School in a Flash" event!

An InLinkz Link-up






Signature

6 comments

  1. I shared about magnetic tape too... it's THE BEST and velcro is a close second for me... Thanks for linking up, I love that you shared your play list! What a great idea!
    Layla

    Fancy Free in Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got an iPod at a used book store over the summer. I made playlists and have been using it in the classroom. I already had a little girl write me a letter about how she likes me so much because I play music. I will be picking your brain for more song choices!

    Diary of a Not So Wimpy Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooh smart to look for iPods at used book stores! I'm going for a hunt now! I still remembered my 5th grade teacher having music for us and how calming it was then. Although at that time it was a cd that just played on repeat. But that stuck with me all this time... that little girl will remember it too I'm sure!

      Delete
  3. Love the music selections!!! A bit of NSync and Backstreet Boys never hurt anyone :)

    -Katie
    http://thepawsitivepencil.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ain't that the truth!! I saw BSB in concert last summer and I'm pretty sure I'm more of a fan girl now than when I was 9. Ha!

      Delete
  4. I really like The Piano Guys, too. Thanks for the paper plate lettering idea.
    Jan
    Laughter and Consistency

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top