Books Teachers Love [May]

I couldn't be more thrilled to be joining the fabulous teacher bloggers that bring you the

monthly post! 

Each month, teacher bloggers share a book that they love for the upcoming month and provide you with ideas on how to present it to your classroom. Make sure you visit each post, as not only will you get an awesome book list with a variety of resources, but you'll also have the chance to win 4 of the amazing books featured (even better, you pick which 4 you want from our monthly book list!)

I'm sharing about a tried and true book that is great for all seasons, but especially spring and back to school time. We've spent 9 months with our class and the impact we've had on them *hopefully* is a lasting one. I love to use this book to encourage them to spread their joy, kindness and beauty to all that they encounter before they leave my little nest.




To start, we pay close attention to what Miss Rumphius' process of spreading beauty looks like. After we read, we put the events of the story in order. Not only does that help us recall the sequence and we get to practice basic story structure and order, but it is also setting us up to look at specific actions that will help us identify character traits for Miss Rumphuis. And in turn, they will help show us the traits we each will need to spread kindness and beauty around. (See how I stretched that?? Haha)


After we have the process, we can examine specific events and what they tell us about our main character. We record these examples and name them with traits with this graphic organizer- If you don't know me well- you'll quickly discover that I love a good ole' graphic organizer!

Now that we've studies Miss Rumphius and her ways, we can now brainstorm how we are going to spread beauty in our community.  I created a few different display options. I have a vision of using the circle display tags and printing them in shades of purple and making one huge lupine (the flower Miss. R plants) next to our classroom door.  It can be a daily reminder whenever they enter or leave of the small actions they can take to spread beauty around them.


Since this is my first time joining this lovely crew of ladies, you can grab any or all of these resources for free at my TpT store! Click the image below!

     





a Rafflecopter giveaway








Signature

6 comments

  1. This post is fantastic! I love all of your ideas! The craft will look amazing outside any door! I am so thrilled you are now a member of BTL! <3 :)

    -Amber
    www.PeppyZestyTeacherista.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am beyond excited to be in such great company with such inspiring ladies! I'm off to explore the other amazing books this month! Can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve! <3

      Delete
  2. This is one of my favorite books ever! I mean EVER!!!!! Thank you for spreading beauty with your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Katie! It is such a classic!

      Delete
  3. This was one of my favorite books growing up. My 2nd grade teacher read it to us and then we planted lupines around the campus. I'll never forget it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have the most amazing stories about keeping nature beautiful! That sounds like my kind of teacher! Thanks for sharing

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top